Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Day Butterflies

Welcome! You're a Tornado now!


I met with my new staff members today.  I thought back to when I used to first meet my classes for the school year.  I wanted to be engaging.  I wanted them to know they could trust that I was going to develop their scholarly skills in ways that were meaningful to their futures. I wanted to be fun.  I wanted to be the teacher they raved about at the end of the day when they were talking with peers about which classes they were looking forward to. 

Today - all that still applied.  I want my new teachers to know that they are being supported.  I want them to recognize that there are lots of chances for collaboration, and they will never need to feel like they're on their own.  I want them to know that they are the newest members of the best department in the district.

In all of my eagerness, I forget one thing, and it's something I've forgotten at times as a teacher and as a coach and as a parent.  What do they want?  When I stop to listen, I find out that they have concerns.  They're nervous.  They're not all brand new to teaching, but my district is brand new to all of them.  They have questions to which I have no answers.  They wonder how their students will receive them.  They wonder what their classroom will look like.  They wonder how their coworkers will receive them and maybe what they look like.

I know that I am confident in their abilities.  I know that I'm excited for them to share their talents with our students.  I know they'll learn so much about themselves in the process, and I'm excited to be a part of their growth.

What do you wish someone shared with you before your first day of school?

No comments:

Post a Comment