Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My First Goal As A Supervisor

If you follow me on Twitter - chances are, if you're reading this, you probably do - you're aware that I recently began work in my new position as the supervisor of ELA in grades 9-12.  The past few weeks have been incredibly productive, as I have been given the time that teachers so often complain they do not have.  I have been able to connect with my PLN, build a new website to connect with my new staff, write a couple blog posts, develop curriculum guides, and help revise grading and portfolio guides. 

The irony of this is that I am no longer a teacher of students.  To do any of these things, a teacher would need to squeeze them in around meetings, PD, grading, and finally - the true purpose - teaching classes.

Recognizing that the time it takes to be effective is as critical as any other factor in a teacher's preparedness, I am setting the goal now - publicly - to offer as much time as is possible to my staff so that they can prepare amazing experiences for their classes.  In addition to prep time are 2 weekly departmental meetings of 83 minutes each, and I am seeking to ensure that the agendas for those meetings are largely constructed by my staff.  It's their time and their department. They should be heavily involved in determining how to most effectively spend their cooperative time.

Given the time to collaborate with your colleagues, what would you most like to work toward accomplishing?

No comments:

Post a Comment